Product attributes are custom fields that can be added to a product to record information that is not in the standard product card. For example, OpenBoxes has a field that indicates if a product is cold chain, but it doesn't have a field to indicate the exact temperature requirements. If an organization requires a field to show the exact temperature requirement for a product, they can create a custom field that will appear on each product. This field could be a free text field, or it could be a drop-down with options populated by the administrator.
Create a Product Attribute
- From the top toolbar, hover over Products > Select Attributes. This will take you to the list of existing attributes.
- Click on Add attribute.
- In the Create attribute page, enter information for the following fields:
- Entity Type: Select Product (There are other objects that can have attributes, but we will not discuss them here.)
- Code: Create a unique code to identify the attribute.
- Name: Enter a name for the attribute, such as Temperature Requirement. This will appear as the field name on the product page
- Description: Enter a brief description of the attribute.
- Uom Class: For multiselect or free text, leave blank. For a numerical field, choose quantity. For a monetary amount, choose currency
- Options: Here, we can add multiple options under the attribute. For Temperature requirements, options could be COOL 8-15C, FRZ -20C, and so on.
- Active: Mark the checkbox.
- Required: This will make the custom field required for every product. Leave this unchecked unless are you sure you want to require the field on all products.
- Allow Free-Text: Instead of creating options to select from, we can also allow free text where users can type in information on the product instead.
- Click on Save. The attribute will now appear in the Attributes list and under the Attributes section when creating a product.
Ex: Adding an additional price on the product using attributes
Ex: Adding a drop-down select for temperature requirement